The Professional Graduate Certificate in Education is for graduates who want a nationally recognised qualification in order to teach in further education and the broader post-compulsory sector (PcET). This course will develop your skills, knowledge and understanding of successful practice in post-compulsory education and your confidence as a professional practitioner.
Our two year in-service programme is run in partnership with the University of East London (UEL). Over the two years you will explore the theoretical, sociological and practical aspects of becoming a good teacher. Whatever your subject specialism, you could pass on your knowledge and expertise to other people.
Your studies will include the following modules:
- Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector: classroom practice and craft;
- Assessment and feedback;
- Learner support;
- Learning from policies - context and practice;
- Active research inquiry;
- Portfolio of professional development and practice.
- A degree in your own subject specialism;
- GCSE English and Maths at Grade 4 (C) or above or equivalent Level 2 qualifications.
Where will it take me?
Successful completion of the course leads to the award of the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PCET) by the University of East London.
Employment and progression opportunities include:
- Teaching in post-16 sector;
- Teaching in secondary education - at the discretion of the school;
- Those who successfully pass the course will be eligible to register with the Society of Education and Training (SET) the teaching professional body for Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) in the post-compulsory sector.
Those who are appointed to a secondary school will find that the school will arrange for you to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Course Assessment Method
You will be assessed via module assignments and observations of professional teaching practice.
Contact our Admissions Team for an application form. Complete this and by return you'll be invited to interview with our Education Team who will discuss the options available to you.
Notes About Fees
Fees shown are per year.
Find out more by speaking to Admissions:
- For full-time further education courses call 01708 462833
- For part-time further education courses call 01708 462801
- For higher education courses, or if you’re an overseas student, call 01708 462801
- To find out if you’re entitled to support call Student Services for advice on 01708 462718 ext 2718
- You don’t have to pay tuition or admin fees if you’re 16-18 and studying a further education funded course.
- You need to pay higher education course fees each academic year.
Where a class needs to close you will be informed as soon as possible and the College will endeavour to help you find alternative provision.