Accessibility Tools

Ardleigh Green Campus is open – only for those students that have been identified as needing to attend. All other Havering Campuses remain closed.

For New City College Hope Fund please click here

Current students – please click here for important information about how we are continuing to support you with your learning.

Year 11 students planning to join us in September, please click here

For further information for Parents please click here

Higher Education Students - Covid-19 details click here and for information about guidance and clarification click here

Sign up to here to receive our monthly e-Newsletter.

For Safeguarding concerns or access to counselling services, please email:

Sixth Form Students/Parents:

All other Havering Campuses:


Teaching Social Work

Free-Online-Learning-Courses Advanced-Learner-Loans-5 Havering-College-Achievement-Rates-2015

What's Involved

This qualification is suitable for both employed and voluntary teaching assistants. However, you must have a level of responsibility in a school or college as a teaching assistant suitable for a Level 3 course. It covers all aspects of specialist support, including optional units such as planning; delivering and reviewing assessment strategies to support learning alongside the teacher; bilingual support; special needs support; and personal development and reflective practice.

Some of the mandatory units you can expect to study are:

  • Child development
  • Safeguarding the welfare of children
  • Health and safety
  • Behaviour
  • Relationships and transitions
  • Equality, diversity and inclusion

You will also study units on schools as organisations, support learning activities, assessment for learning and personal development. Preferably you will have completed the Level 2 Supporting Teaching and Learning qualification. If you have not, the tutor may take relevant experience into account. However, you will need to demonstrate an academic ability to work at Level 3.

Entry Requirements

You need to be at least 18 years of age
Preferably you will have successfully completed the Level 2 Supporting Teaching and Learning Certificate (if you have not, the tutor may take relevant experience into account, but you will need to demonstrate an academic ability to work at Level 3
You need to be employed or working as a volunteer teaching assistant for 10 hours per week
Completion of a successful interview
You need to complete a literacy assessment at Level 2 to study this qualification

Where will it take me?

Students can progress onto the Level 4 Certificate for the Advanced Practitioner in Schools and Colleges, a foundation degree or specialist roles within the education sector. Typically, you will go on to work in a school or college as a teaching assistant. You may wish to look for work as a general classroom assistant or as a support assistant for individuals with specific learning needs.

Course Assessment Method

You will be appointed an assessor. They will visit you in the workplace to carry out observations of your work. You will also discuss your work as a teaching assistant and complete log sheets. There are also written assignments to complete. All units will be internally assessed using a range of methods which could include written assignments or tasks such as designing a leaflet or booklet, charts or diagrams, or setting up an information board. You need to achieve 56 credits from 16 mandatory units.

Where and When

Supporting Teaching and Learning Level 3 Diploma

View Other Courses

Notes About Fees

Fees shown are per year. Additional miscellaneous fees may be applicable.

Find out more by speaking to Admissions:

  • For full-time further education courses call 01708 462833
  • For part-time further education courses call 01708 462801
  • For higher education courses, or if you’re an overseas student, call 01708 462801


  • To find out if you’re entitled to support call Student Services for advice on 01708 462718 ext 2718
  • You don’t have to pay tuition or admin fees if you’re 16-18 and studying a further education funded course.
  • You need to pay higher education course fees each academic year.

Contact the Admissions Team

Please tell us your name
Please enter a valid email address
Invalid Input
Please enter a message
Please confirm
Invalid Input

2020-21 Course Guide

Havering College Course Guide 2020/21

Society for Education Training Corporate Partner

Ofsted 2016 Report