HAVERING'S largest skills and jobs event, the Careers & Ideas Show is to take place at Havering College on Thursday, March 26th.
The show at the Ardleigh Green Campus in Hornchurch, Greater London, is designed to inspire the next generation and help young people decide which route to take into the world of work.
The Careers & Ideas Show will be packed with ideas, advice and opportunities including:
• 50 interactive 'Have a Go' experiences in careers ranging from Construction to Music Production and Plumbing to Hairdressing
• Local businesses and potential employers
• Apprenticeship and work placement opportunities
• 1,000 live jobs to apply for on the day
• Information on courses and career pathways from the very beginning through to HNC, HND, Degree, Post Graduate and Master Degree level.
• A dedicated Havering College Degree and Higher Education zone for a diverse range of careers
More than 5,000 young people, including pupils from Havering's secondary schools and Havering College students, and their teachers are attending the day time schools-only programme between 10am and 4pm.
An evening session, running from 5pm-7pm, is open to anyone looking for a job whether for first-time employment, after redundancy, career change, getting back into work after redundancy or long term unemployment. There will be opportunities to meet employers, find out about apprenticeships, apply for live job vacancies and enrol on courses.
The Careers & Ideas Show is supported by Havering Council. Participating companies, recruitment agencies and organisations include Jobs in Maritime, Nat West, Stagecoach, Time FM, Jobcentre Plus (Department for Work and Pensions), the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers (CIPHE) and the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives.
Havering College head of commercial enterprise and employability, Tony Wittridge said: "The Careers & Ideas Show will be the biggest event of its kind in Havering. It offers young people, their teachers and parents a one-off opportunity to get all the advice they need about careers, apprenticeships, jobs and courses in one place.
"Focusing on more than 10 skills areas, the daytime have-a-go experiences will be great fun and give young people the chance to discover what skills they are good at. Trying their hand at various activities will inform the choices they make about the future. Professionals from a wide range of industries and lecturers will be on hand to inspire and talk about potential future careers, qualifications, study options, apprenticeships and jobs."
Attendance to the Careers & Ideas Show at Havering College of Further and Higher Education, Ardleigh Green Campus, Ardleigh Green Road, Hornchurch RM11 2LL on Thursday, March 26th is free. There is free on site parking.
• Register now for the daytime (SCHOOLS ONLY) session running from 10am-4pm or the evening (OPEN TO ALL) 5pm-7pm session.