The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) has confirmed the quality and standards of provision at Havering College of Further and Higher Education following its review in June 2014
A team of QAA reviewers visited Havering College of Further and Higher Education and judged that its academic standards, the quality and enhancement of its student learning opportunities, and the quality of information about its learning opportunities all meet UK expectations.
The review identified a number of examples of good practice. These include:
• the support provided for the academic development of teaching staff
• the opportunities and support given to both teaching and professional services staff.
The review made some recommendations for improvements, for example:
• establish student representation on committees at all levels within the College to engage students as partners in quality assurance and enhancement
• develop a more comprehensive, College-wide approach to dedicated higher education careers advice and guidance.
Maria Thompson, Principal and Chief Executive of Havering College said: "This very positive result builds on the college's tradition, established over 40 years, of designing and delivering high quality, vocationally focused, Higher Education programmes that feed the aspirations of our learners, meet the training needs of our international, national and local employer partners; and supports the local economy of the Borough. This outcome provides a spring board for the future development of Higher Education programmes over the next 5 years as the college works towards its Vision for 2020."
Asfa Sohail, Vice Principal, Teaching, Learning and Success, of Havering College said: "This positive result of the Higher Education Review is testament to the hard work and enthusiasm of our Higher Education students; and the passion, commitment and dedication of the staff, of the college, who teach and support them."
A successful review means that Havering College of Further and Higher Education can display the QAA Quality Mark, indicating to UK and international students that the university/college meets national requirements for standards and quality.
- The review team included Dr Philip Davies (Bournemouth and Poole College), Professor Donald Pennington (Institute of Education) and Mrs Emma Hedges (a student at the University of Keele).The review carried out at Havering College of Further and Higher Education was a Higher Education Review (HER). More information on HER is available from the QAA website.
- The report on Havering College of Further and Higher Education is published on 4 September 24 2014. It is available on the QAA website.