Website Privacy and Cookies Policy Introduction
Companies that gather personal data have to, by law, notify the Information Commissioner that they are doing so. At Havering College of Further and Higher Education we are totally committed to protecting your personal information and will look after the information you entrust to us keeping it safe and secure. Havering College complies with this requirement, and its Data Protection Registration No. is Z8608861.
Principles of Data Protection
Anyone processing personal data must comply with the eight enforceable principles of good practice. The Data Protection Act 1998 states that data must be:
- fairly and lawfully processed;
- processed for limited purposes;
- adequate, relevant and not excessive;
- not kept longer than necessary;
- processed in accordance with the data subject's rights;
- not transferred to countries without adequate protection.
Personal data covers both facts and opinions about the individual. It also includes information regarding the intentions of the data controller towards the individual, although in some limited circumstances exemptions will apply. With processing, the definition is far wider than before. For example, it incorporates the concepts of obtaining, holding and disclosing.
- Statement of intent
- Information on users
- Disclosing Personal Information
- Access to your Personal Information
- Direct Marketing
- Users under 18 years
Statement of intent
From time to time, you may be asked to submit personal information about yourself (eg name, e-mail address etc) in order to receive or use services on our web site. By entering your details in the form fields requested, Havering College will be able to provide you with the services you choose and provide you with the information you wish to receive. Whenever you provide such personal information, we will treat that information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and will not in any event share or disclose your data with any other third party without first obtaining your consent. Havering College will act in accordance with current UK legislation and aim to meet current Internet best practice.
Information on Users and Cookies
A Cookie is a small text file stored on your computer. The one set by the Havering College web site can only be read by the College’s web site and will not expose you to any security risks. Cookies in themselves do not identify the individual user, just the computer used, this is perfectly safe and doesn't affect the performance of your computer in any way. It does mean that if you're using the same computer we can potentially recognise you when you revisit our web site.
- To monitor and manage our website traffic.
- To understand how our advertising campaigns and promotions within the Havering College website are working to improve our site design and promotions. None of the cookies used on our website collect personally identifiable information about you and no information is passed to third parties.
How to Control and Delete Cookies
Alternatively, you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find details on how to delete cookies from your computer (including those from this visit) as well as more general information about cookies. For information on how to do this on the browser of your mobile device you will need to refer to your handset manual.
Disclosing Personal Information
When you supply any personal information to Havering College we have legal obligations towards you in the way we handle that data. We have to collect the information fairly, and to let you know how we will use it and whether we will pass the information on to anyone else. We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as you use the service you have requested, and remove it in the event that the purpose has been met. We will ensure that all personal information supplied is held securely, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Access to your Personal Information
You have the right to access and correct your personal information and privacy preferences. This is accomplished by writing to Havering College at:
Ardleigh Green Road
Essex RM11 2LL
Telephone: 01708 455011
Fax: 01708 462788
Please include your name, address, and/or e-mail address when you contact us. Please note that Havering College reserves the right to charge a small fee for responding to significantly large information requests.
As Havering College's web site expands, there will be more opportunities to enhance what we provide to you. From time to time we may provide you with details of other Havering College services and products which may be of interest to you and offer you the opportunity to receive information on them. Havering College will keep a record of information provided by you. Please note that any information you provide to the College will only be used within Havering College, and will never be supplied to third parties without first obtaining your consent. The only time we may do so is if we are obliged by UK governing law to disclose information to law enforcement agencies as required.
Users under 18 years
Should you be under 18 years, please make sure that you obtain a parent/guardian's permission before you provide personal information to the Havering College web site. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
Havering College has made a commitment to make this website accessible:
- Please use Ctrl+ to enlarge type size and CTRL- to reduce type size.
- Particular care has been taken to ensure this Website's content and image alternative tags have been written in a way that is helpful to users using screen reader software.
- A sans serif font has been used for easier reading, and the design allows for font resizing using the browser's controls.
- All pages contain access links that can be used via keyboard short cuts, and may be useful for users with screen readers.
- Adobe PDF documents (PDF stands for Portable Document Format) have been used on this site for large documents and complex forms.
This site is BrowseAloud enabled.