Under the terms of the Instruments and Articles of Government for Further Education Colleges (2008), the Corporation may decide whether a person should be allowed to attend any of its meetings where that person is not a member.
The Corporation of Havering College of Further and Higher Education has determined the following arrangements:
- Persons who are not Committee Members (except those mentioned in paragraph 4 below) may only attend a meeting of the Corporation or any Committee with the prior approval of the relevant Committee Chair.
- Such persons may attend in an observer capacity only and may not participate in any debate without the consent of the Chair at the meeting. As an observer, they have no right to vote and have no bearing on the quoracy requirements for the meeting.
- In the event of any confidential business arising which the Committee wishes to discuss in private, the observer will be required to withdraw for this part of the meeting.
- The Corporation and Committees, or the Chair acting on behalf of the Corporation or Committee, may invite members of the College staff, the College’s external advisors or other interested parties to attend relevant Corporation or Committee meetings or attend for specific items on the agenda of those meetings.
- Requests from members of the public, staff and students of the College or any other non-members to attend any Corporation or Committee meeting should be made in writing to the Clerk to the Corporation at least seven days in advance of the relevant Havering College of Further and Higher Education meeting. The decision about whether to admit a person lies with the relevant Committee Chair whose decision shall be final.
- The draft Minutes of Corporation and Committee meetings will be made available for public inspection, on request, (except confidential items) once they have been approved by the Chair of the meeting.
- The Minutes of the Corporation meetings will be published on the College’s website (except confidential items) once they have been confirmed and signed at the subsequent meeting and will remain on the website for a minimum period of 12 months.
Approved by the Governance Committee on 21.06.12